Saturday, November 07, 2009

Answers to difficult questions



Whenever I call up the customer care centre number of my service providers and ask the customer care representative any complicated or difficult questions pertaining to the deficiency in service, I get a few typical responses:


(i) Sir, we are extremely sorry but you can get that information only at our retail outlet.


(ii) Sir, our system is very slow at the moment - please call up after sometime and check back.


(iii) Sir, our server is not able to retrieve the information at the moment.


(iv) Sir, our IT system is undergoing maintenance activities and hence I would not be able to help you at the moment.


(v) Sir, our servers are being upgraded, so the information is not available.


Probably, they've been trained to answer that way when they do not know the answer. But in real life situations, when we come across friends and acquaintances and ask them complicated or difficult questions which they want to avoid, how do they react or answer? Here are the top-5 responses which I keep coming across:


(i) Dunno!

(ii) I'm not sure.


(iii) I've never thought in that direction.


(iv) I'll think over and let you know.


(v) I have no idea.


Sometimes these are indeed genuine and true answers but often it's difficult to separate the grain from the chaff. As the idiom goes - "there are no difficult questions, only difficult answers" - indeed, I find these answers difficult to understand and comprehend.

5 comments:

Aparna said...

Apt pic :) - simple answer to a simple question :))

VT said...

@ Aparna - :)

Yogesh Goel said...

Good one man...
Real good one...
I thought that the customer care walas did this only to me...
lol...

Ankit said...

nice observation... i really admire ur quality of observing the "underlying" in simple things.. i hope someday u cum up with a book on human psychology.. with a lot of simple examples like you have posted in ur blog so far... happy blogging :)

VT said...

@ Yogesh - ha..ha..good to know that i'm not the only victim :)

@ Ankit - Thank you for the compliment! But I must say that you're equally good with observations - how else would you remember that most of my posts revolve around simple and mundane events :) Do not have any plans to come out with a book in the near future, though. :)