Sunday, November 08, 2009

I'm sorry!


"I'm sorry", including all it's variants ("...really sorry", "...extremely sorry", "...sooo sorry", or simply "sorie"), is the most astounding statement in English language. Yes, more astounding than even "I love you" because how often people are even sorry for loving someone.

Most often the statement -"I'm sorry"- is perceived as a magic mantra, by chanting which, all what one intends to undo is undone for ever. To my techie mind, that sounds like the closest real-life replica of the 'ctrl+z' function - commit a mistake / error / blunder and just undo it - wOw! Wish life were as simple and easy as that, but it's not, unfortunately.

The only merit I find in the statement is that it makes one feel that someone is concerned about you and has hence bothered to make that statement, at all, and a sorry serves it's purpose only if the mistake is unintentional. But does it surmount the misery, pain, hurt, loss, distress, anguish, trauma, suffering, whatever, caused? Is it the panacea which cures all ills?

Moreover, is it so easy to forgive people just by hearing them chant that mantra? And even if we do, can we forget the instances for which they were sorry? Extremely difficult, if not impossible, for 'mango people' like us to do either. That's why they say - you feel like God when you forgive someone. But how often can we play God? - not always, not too often, not everyday, not until eternity!

More importantly, do people even think and realise their mistake before they make that statement? And if at all they do, what course of action do they take not commit the same one, if not any, again? All that most do is - gear up to be sorry yet again!


To conclude, I'm reminded of the dialogue from the movie 'Sex and the City' - Steve is all about the "I'm sorry". "I'm sorry" e-mails, "I'm sorry" voice mails, "I'm sorry" flowers, "I'm sorry" cards. How about, don't do anything to be "I'm sorry" for?

2 comments:

Yogesh Goel said...

well written bhai..
probably in these days i too was going to write on this same topic...
alas u wrote it...
exactly this is what i was also gonna write...

I Love U still has its importance n not many can say it randomly...
but yeh sry wala is become dam common....infact iska effect hi khatam hote ja raha hai...

commit a mistake say sorry...
commit again n say sorry again...
n this goes on...
but yaar kab tak..
there has to be an end...
shudn't this too be used like a big thing said....
y people r taking it as just a word to get over the things...

pata nahi yaar...
apne se to sry bhi jaldi se nahi nikalta...bolne se pehele i wud always want to improve or rectify n then say so...n probably wud never commit the same mistake again...

people will have to understand that this is also a very important word like anything...n has to be used wisely...

hope this post makes them understand so...

VT said...

@ Yogesh - Great minds think alike :)

Seriously, I think over a million times before being sorry and when I say that, I really mean it.