Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Prized possessions


I have a bad handwriting yet a pen has always been an object of admiration and fascination for me. The latest additions to my collection include a Parker Sonnet Silver Fougére Fountain Pen and a Waterman Hemisphere Mars Black Gold Trims Fountain Pen (pics below).




These recent gifts have surely become my prized possessions but what I observe in deep thought is what makes an object a prized possession for a person? Is it the monetary value which is tagged to that object? Or the utility of that object in a person's life? Or the importance of the person who has gifted that object? Or is it the envy of friends, neighbours and the world for that object?

Somehow, for me all my belongings have been my prized possessions, be it the first TV video game my mom got for me way back in 1994 (was as good as new when I gifted it to my nephew a year ago) or the pencil box which I started using when I was in the second standard (and I still have and use) or the ordinary handkerchief which I use everyday.

Most of my acquaintances find this strikingly odd and unusual. But I truly treasure and take pride of ownership of all my belongings, no matter how cheap or even obsolete they might be!

Is it my 'moh, maya'? Certainly not! I can live without these objects and can even gift them  to people I want to but does this necessarily mean that I need not classify them as my prized possessions? I would prefer leaving that unanswered.

Anyway, after these two recent prized possessions, I'm craving for a Montblanc StarWalker now! :)

5 comments:

Yogesh Goel said...

mithusubhi pen bhuul gaya kya..
inspired from u and the quality of the pen i started using it and see the tragedy nowadays the company has stopped the production...lol..

now i am using a very good one...
uni-ball ka hai..

jiske haath me bhi jata hai bolta hai ki did i bring it from somewhere outside india..dhaansu hai bhai...mind blowing...

Yogesh
ygoel.com

VT said...

Of course, how can I forget the Mitsubishi pens which I had used for over 6-7 years....but had to finally bid adieu b'coz their quality was degrading and availability was also a problem....

Now, I have switched to Reynolds for daily work since my organisation provides me with that :)

A said...

kya baat hai!

congrats! bade achhe dost hain tumhare :)

Yogesh Goel said...

@Anjuli

what do u mean bade achhe dost hai tumhare...hmm...

A said...

@Yogesh: koi aise pens gift kare to wo achha dost hi to hua na!