Friday, July 31, 2009

An agnostic - I am!


A buddy of mine had felt offended after reading the fact that I call myself an agnostic. There might be some other souls too who might be incorrectly interpreting my agnosticism. So, here is the version of the clarification which I had mailed to my buddy:


Etymologically, an agnostic is a person who claims that they cannot have true knowledge about the existence of God (but does not deny that God might exist).

Of course, I believe (a belief - which is a vague idea in which some confidence is placed,  is different from knowledge - which is the  psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning) in the existence of a Supreme Authority (called by whatever name) but unlike most ignorant people (I call them so), I do not claim to have true knowledge about the existence of God.

The version which we hear about God in our everyday lives is a result of  religious prejudices. Why else would Allah, Jesus, Guru Tej Bahadur, Rama, et al. have different origins? Why do we have different versions of God for different religions (I often associate such version with technology only - different operating systems for different micro processors - Mac or Windows; Symbian or Android; etc.)? And for a person like me who believes in the religion of humanity - have we ever heard the name of the 'God of Humanity'? Perhaps, we would never hear it 'coz that God lies in the good deeds we do -  be it a gesture of kindness, a smile with purity or even some words of truthfulness. A movie addict like you would appreciate the monologue from Angels and Demons in the same context: "Religion is flawed because man is flawed" - this is precisely the contention that I have.

Further, I also see my parents as a manifestation of God. And there are so many other people and things with whom I can relate the so-called Godliness (have been hearing the idiom 'Cleanliness is next to Godliness' from my early childhood).

Why is there is plethora of confusion when we actually think about the existence of God? I do not have the answers! Hence, I call myself an agnostic.

3 comments:

Yogesh Goel said...

i am also just as same as u brother...
apne vichaar milte julte hai...
hmm...

3 cheers for ourselves....
lol...

Yogesh
ygoel.com

VT said...

@ Yogesh - Cancerians, after all! :)

Yogesh Goel said...

lol...
ya right...